Wednesday, November 3

what this election means


Said eloquently and beautifully (as always) by Trey.

I stayed up late last night chain-smoking on the porch with my boyfriend and a radio. We talked a lot and were quiet a lot, him interrupting with updates on "decision 2004."

We were chain-smoking because we agreed to quit smoking all together if Bush won. I don't know why we agreed this, but we did, and while we both wanted very badly for re-election to not happen, we were rightly afraid it would. And what the hell would we do with a carton of cowboy killers then?

I woke up at 9 o' clock this morning with no decision yet; Bush still 20 votes away, Kerry right at his tail. By the time I got out of my first class it was over.

The hack group had a couple heated arguments, but mostly they were ambivalent arguments because a bunch of stoners have a hard time being heated about anything. Toby and I and Johnny Depp sat in the corner in the cold, holding hands and watching our breath. This day felt momentous, yet at the same time it felt like nothing. Every other day, except better because I'm back on my medication.

Toby says something with the quiet of his hands that hits hard and where it hurts: "I may never be able to marry you."

Thank you to the 51% of Americans who thought with their Bible instead of their humanity. That is what this country was founded on, after all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

fool us once... shame on him...
fool us twice... shame on us...
oy...
:-/
wanna move into my cardboard box complex? easier to move to canada that way... just pick it up and go...
~libby
smile on the outside

November 3, 2004 at 8:28 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Oh, honey. I'm so sorry. I'm going to do what is in my power, what little I have, to ensure that rights to unions and rights to govern our own bodies and relationships reamin at least as they presently are and progress as quickly as possible.

This day felt momentous, yet at the same time it felt like nothing. Exactly. It felt like watch the quiet before a mounting, inevitable storm. The inertia of it all was absolutely overwhelming.

November 4, 2004 at 12:15 AM  
Blogger Christy Moss said...

I realize this is an old blog, but I liked what you had to say. You commented on one of my pictures in my blog so I clicked on your name and it brought me to yours. Obviuosly, the election is long over by now, but I believe a lot of people's votes were with their Bible in consideration instead of the way of humanity. My brother and I had a conversation on how people would probably vote for him because he has all these christian morals, and honestly, we weren't sure if that was a good thing or not, we tried not to look at that aspect.

November 19, 2004 at 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home